Bhavnagar TourismBhavnagar was founded by Bhavsinhji Gohil (1703-64 AD) in 1723 AD near the Gulf of Khambhat, on a carefully chosen strategic location having potential of maritime trade. Till independence, Bhavnagar State was ruled by the Gohil Rajput clan.
The Gohil Rajputs came to Gujarat from Marwar in 1260 AD and had 3 capitals- Sejakpur, Umrala and Sihor; before finally establishing Bhavnagar as their capital.
The old town of Bhavnagar was a fortified town with gates leading to other important towns of the region. The Darbargadh (royal residence) was located at the center of the town. The rulers of Bhavnagar subsequently shifted to Motibag and Nilambag Palace.
Bhavnagar remained a major port, for almost two centuries, trading commodities with Africa,Mozambique, Zanzibar, Singapore and the Persian Gulf. This flourising maritime trade resulted in the high rate of urbanization surplus wealth and cosmopolitan culture of the town.
Present day bhavnagarm owes much to the vision of the past ruler Sir Takhtsinhji Gohil (1869-96 AD). The town planning schemes were designed and implemented under the guidance of progressive rulers of Bhavnagar. During the reign of Sir Takhtsinhji, the British State Engineer Proctor Sims supervised the construction of Barton Library, High Court, Alfred High School and Sir Takhtsinhji Hospital.